Tuesday 20th June 2017, 8pm – White Horse, Hertford.
June’s South Herts branch meeting is being held upstairs at the White Horse in Castle Street, Hertford, on Tuesday 20th June 2017, starting at 8pm.
Our speaker will be David Devine, an expert on the history and pubs of nearby Harlow New Town. David will be letting us know why and how so many of Harlow’s pubs were named after butterflies and moths, when the town began to expand after WWII, on the Essex/Hertfordshire border.
The White Horse in Hertford was an early hero in the revival of cask-conditioned ale – a free house back in the 1970’s, offering a range of real ales and opening the eyes of many a nascent real ale drinker to the beers that could still be found with a little investigation. For many of us there was no turning back. Now owned by Fuller’s of Chiswick, the pub offers a range of Fuller’s beers together with others from breweries far and wide – usually eight beers in total – and two ciders from Cornish Orchards. Apart from Mondays, when the pub opens at 4pm, the characterful and timbered 16th century former beerhouse is open all day, with upstairs meeting rooms and a hard-to-find bar billiards table.
Come along to find out what the branch is doing and enjoy a flutter on beer and butterflies!
- Apologies for Absence
- Minutes of the last branch meeting
- Updates on the Forward Plan and Key Activities for 2017
- Activation of Membership – Questionnaire/Letter to New Members
- Campaigning and Social Events
- Branch Procedures Review – MIP/GBG/CPOTY/POTY
- Good Beer Guide 2018 & 2019
- CAMRA Photo Depository
- CAMRA Revitalisation
- Pub Codes Adjudicator
- Pub Preservation – Rates, Excise, Planning – permitted development, ACV
- Adopt a Pub
- Pub Surveys
- New Website
- St Albans Beer and Cider Festival 2017
- Beer Break
- Speaker – David Devine “The Butterfly and Moth Pub Names of Harlow”
- Pub and Brewery News in South Herts
- Questions and Answers
- Any Other Business