Tuesday 17th October 2017 – Hertford Club, Hertford – 8pm.
Our October branch meeting will take place in the Chauncy Room on the first floor of the Hertford Club, Bull Plain, Hertford, from 8pm on Tuesday 17th October 2017.
Located in the picturesque setting of Bull Plain in Hertford Town Centre on the banks of the River Lea, The Hertford Club has occupied the Grade II* listed Lombard House for 120 years. The timber framed and Georgian fronted building hails from the 15th Century and sits within a walled garden next to a riverside terrace opened in 2017. The Club offers 4 interesting real ales and a real cider.
Doug Horton is the Quality Control manager at French and Jupp’s of Stanstead Abbotts, Hertfordshire’s last remaining firm of maltsters. Doug will bring an insight into the company’s 300-year history and explain the importance that malt brings to the English beers we all enjoy. In East Herts, Ware was once dubbed the most important malting centre in Europe and Hertfordshire malt was known by brewers as the finest in the land. Doug will explain the different types of malt and how they help determine styles of English beers and tell us how French and Jupp’s specialise in a rich range of coloured malts.
The Hertford Club is served in the evening by the 310 bus, travelling the Lea Valley (terminating around the corner at the town bus station). The 724 Green Line bus (St.Albans to Hertford) will bring you to Hertford in time but sadly there is no westbound 724 back after the meeting. Perhaps a shared cab or car share? Hertford in blessed with two railway stations. Hertford North (a 15-17 minute walk) welcomes trains north from King’s Cross and Finsbury Park and south from Stevenage. Hertford East station (a 7-8 minute walk) takes trains from Liverpool Street via Broxbourne.
- Apologies for Absence
- Minutes of the last branch meeting
- Business, Campaigning and Key Activities
- Activation of Membership – New Members Evening
- Most Improved Pub Award – Presentation Evening
- Branch 45th Year Anniversary – Celebration Evening
- Other Campaigning and Social Events
- Young Members
- Campaigning and Social Events
- Good Beer Guide 2019 – Pub Nominations. Appointment of Zone-Co-ordinators etc.
- Pub of the Year 2018 – Appointment of Zone-Co-ordinators
- Most Improved Pub Award – Nomination Decision
- CAMRA Revitalisation – Update
- Pub Preservation – Business Rates, The Budget, Planning matters
- WhatPub Surveys – Surveys Required
- Pints of View
- New Website – Development
- St Albans Beer & Cider Festival 2017 – A Summary of Highlights
- Beer Break
- Speaker – Doug Horton from French and Jupp’s – The Malting business, F&J’s history and the importance of malt to brewing
- Pub and Brewery News in South Herts
- Looking ahead to 2018
- Questions and Answers
- Any Other Business